News archives

Third Arrest By CID In Ranaghat Convent Rape And Robbery Case

2015-04-24 23:50


Khaleder Reheman Mintu alias Farooq being taken to court. Picture by ABHI GHOSH

Ranaghat, April 24: A CID team on Thursday has arrested the second Bangladeshi National in connection with the Ranaghat convent rape and robbery case.

Khaleder Reheman Mintu alias Farooq, 35, a resident of Jessore, was first apprehended by the government railway police while he was roaming suspiciously on Bangaon railway station.

A CID team took him to Bhawani Bhawan and arrested after a marathon interrogation.

With the arrest of Khaleder, so far three persons are arrested by the CID in connection with the Ranaghat convent rape and robbery case.

The accused was produced before additional chief judicial magistrate’s court in Ranaghat on Friday and charged under section 395, 397, 376 and 120B of Indian penal code.

ACJM Papiya Das ordered 14-day’s police custody for him granting the petition of the CID.

Assistant public prosecutor Pradip Kumar Pramanik said: “The investigating agency has found prima facie evidences against him about his involvement into the convent rape and robbery. The CID needs to interrogate him more to explore his involvement into the alleged crime”.

On the night of March 13, armed miscreants attacked a residential block at Ranaghat based Convent of Jesus and Mary high school. The miscreants raped an elderly nun and decamped with cash and jewelries.

CID started the probe and arrested Mohammed Salim Sheikh, a Bangladeshi national from Mumbai and Gopal Sarkar from Habra on March 27.

The CID achieved fresh success on Friday when it arrested Khaledar.

According to CID sources, accused Khaleder’s visage has not matched with none of the miscreants whose facial image was found from the cctv footage of the convent.

“However, during the initial interrogation he has confessed about his presence at the Convent of Jesus and Mary high school’s residential block in Ranaghat where the alleged rape and robbery were occurred. It is yet to be ascertained what was his exact role during the crime and also whether he was involved into the alleged rape of the elderly nun”, a CID officer said.

The CID officer further claimed that after committing the crime Khaledar returned to Bangladesh through a border in North Bengal.

“On Thursday he crossed the Indo-Bangladesh border in Benapole and came to Bangaon rail station to catch a Sealdah bound train when the GRP officers apprehend him”, the CID officer added. 

Go back