News archives

Suspected Killer Of Madanpur Businessman Commits Suicide In Police Custody

2015-09-19 21:30

Liton Biswas - suspected killer of Antu Das

Sumati Biswas-mother of suspected killer Liton Biswas broke down after death of her son. Picture by ABHI GHOSH


Ranaghat, Sept. 19: A youth who suspected to have killed a hosiery garments manufacturer in Nadia’s Madanpur on Thursday night, had apparently committed suicide by consuming poison a little after he was nabbed and being taken to police station for interrogation from his Ranaghat based home during the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Police said, Liton Biswas, 29, a resident of Shymanagar-Rupasree Pally in Ranaghat, who was arrested for his alleged involvement into the murder of Antu Dutta had collapsed inside a police vehicle at about 3.15 Am on Saturday. He was rushed to Ranaghat sub divisional hospital where he was pronounced brought dead.

Police said, the deceased youth who worked as a painter at a motor vehicle workshop in Ranahgat, had an extra marital affair with Antu’s wife Sushmita and hatched a conspiracy with her.

Sushmita’s paternal home is in Ranaghat who had a premarital affair with Liton, which even continued after marriage.

A joint investigating team of Ranaghat and Chakdaha police conducted a raid at the youth’s house after it got conclusive evidence about his involvement examining the call records of the Sushmita.

Police have detained Sushmita for interrogation.

Even though the exact reason behind Liton’s death is yet to be ascertained, the sleuths suspect that the youth had apparently consumed poison before boarding the police vehicle.

An autopsy on the youth’s body was done on Saturday afternoon at Ranaghat sub divisional hospital in presence of an executive magistrate after his relatives alleged police torture. However, hospital authority refused to comment on it.

Additional superintendant of police Ajay Prasad said: “The youth was apparently panicked after he realized about the arrival of the police team at his home. He kept the members waiting for about half an hour despite repeated persuasion to cooperate. He, however, came out to board the vehicle and confessed to have killed Antu hatching a conspiracy with Sushmita. However, within few minutes of his confession, he collapsed. We took him to Ranaghat sub divisional hospital where he was pronounced dead”.

The additional SP ruled out allegations by the youth’s mother Sumati Biswas that her son died due to physical torture on him after the arrest.

“The youth was not at all tortured. His brother in law was present during the process of arrest. The youth was looking very drowsy when he came out of the vehicle. He was visibly unwell. So we taken him to hospital first”, the additional SP said.

According to investigating officials, on Thursday night as per well hatched plan Liton knocked Antu Dutta’s house at about 2.30 am. His wife Sushmita opened the door, when Antu was asleep. Liton first slashed his throat with a sharp weapon and stabbed him repeatedly. She tied Sushmita with a rope and ransacked the home before leaving to project the incident as a dacoity.

Go back