News archives

Ranaghat Convent Rape:CID Arrest Ringleader Milan Sarkar

2015-05-08 23:50

NfN NETWORK

Prime accused Milan Sarkar being taken to court in Ranaghat Picture by ABHI GHOSH

Ranaghat, May 7: In a major breakthrough, a CID team probing the Ranaghat convent rape and robbery case, has arrested the prime suspect Milan Sarkar, a Bangladeshi national, along with one other Bangladeshi accomplices from Sealdah rail station during the late hours of Thursday night.

According to the CID sources, Milan, who is a resident of Jessore, is the ring leader of the gang which involved into the rape and robbery at the Convent of Jesus and Mary high school in Ranaghat on the night of March 14.

CID officials meanwhile have been desperately looking to arrest Habib, Fakir, Manik, Tuhin and Nazoor, the other Bangladeshi nationals, who were allegedly involved into the Convent case, but went absconding.

Acting on a tip of, the CID officials nabbed Milan and his associate Ohidul Islam alias Babu while they were trying to sneak into the city after landing at the Sealdah station travelling by a local train from Bangaon Thursday night.

With these two fresh arrests, so far five persons are arrested in the Ranaghat convent rape and robbery case, of which four are Bangladeshi national.

Earlier on March 26 the CID arrested Mohammed Salim Sheikh from Mumbai. On the same day Gopal Sarkar, a resident of Habra was arrested. Later on April 24, the CID arrested Khaleder Reheman Mintu alias Farooq.

On Friday, the due was produced before the additional chief judicial magistrate’s court in Ranaghat. ACJM Papiya Das ordered CID custody for 14 days for the both.

Meanwhile, Khaleder Reheman Mintu alias Farooq was also produced before the ACJM court along with Milan and Ohidul, on Friday on expiry of his CID custody. The ACJ has ordered 14 days judicial custody for him.

Assistant public prosecutor Pradip Pramanik said: “The three accused persons were charged under section 376 (rape), 395 (dacoity) and 397 (Robbery, or dacoity, with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) of the Indian penal code. To explore the conspiracy and the heinous crime that was committed by the accused persons, the CID needed to take them to their custody for a longer period. The court has granted the maximum eligible period of custody of 14 days”.

The APP, however, did not clarified whether face of Milan or either of the other two has matched with any one of the images of the CCTV photographs, which were seen to have committed the crime at the convent.

“This is yet to be examined to reach at a conclusive point”, said APP Pramanik.

However, CID sources claimed that Milan’s face has similarity with one of the images (No.1) of the CCTV grab.

A senior CID officer said: “Since the name of Milan surfaced up we have been trying our best to nab him. Our sleuths also visited his house in Jessore, but it was found locked. However, we were constantly tracking his phones with the help of our Bangladeshi counter parts. We were also particularly monitoring incoming calls to some of close associates of Milan in India too. On Thursday we got a tip of that Milan could enter India in a bid to sneak into Calcutta through Sealdah station, which led the arrest”

The CID officials in Calcutta were found happy after the arrest of the Milan, even though none of the other six members who allegedly involved in to the rape and robbery could so far be caught.

Earlier the CID identified eight miscreants with the help Anita Sarkar; wife of other accused Gopal Sarkar of Habra, who was allegedly involved into the convent case. So far three out the listed eight has been arrested. Anita’s husband Gopal Sarkar alleged to have planned the crime and brought the gang together.

“We are hopeful that now interrogating Milan we will be able to get traces of Habib, Fakir, Manik, Tuhin and Nazoor, all residents of Jessore, who allegedly were involved in to the Ranaghat convent rape and robbery and now absconding”

Go back