News archives

Nadia Girl Raped, Murdered By Classmates And Friends

2016-10-15 20:25

Anwesha Biswas alias Madhumita

The tree from which the girl found hanging. Picture by Pranan Debnath


Dhubulia (Nadia), Oct. 15: A sixteen year girl reading in class eleven was gang raped and killed allegedly by one of his class mates and his three other associates in Nadia’s Dhubulia during the wee hours of Saturday morning. 
The 19 year old accused classmate, who was arrested by police this morning, allegedly had eloped the girl from her home in Belpukur-Rajapur village with help of his associates when the girl came out of her home to a toilet and took her to a deserted mango orchard where she was raped and killed. 
Victim was at home with her elder brother and 70 year old grandmother, who were sleeping on the corridor while her parents went to Purbasthali in Burdwan to see an ailing relative. 
The body of the deceased Anwesha Biswas alias Madhumita, a student of Belpukur high school, was found today morning hanging from a mango tree with a gamcha with visible strangulations and other injury marks around her neck. 
Prior to that, villagers apprehended the accused classmate identified as Rajkumar Roy, son of a weaver and a resident of same village, while he was roaming suspiciously. The accused youth who also works as a trainee tailor at a garments manufacturing shop in Dhubulia, was handed over to the police later by the villagers. 
Police has started a case of gang rape and murder against Rajkumar, his cousin Sujoy Mondal (20) and two others on the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim’s father Brojen Biswas, a construction labor, at the Dhubulia police station. 
A medical examination as well as postmortem confirmed the rape, while the death was caused due to strangulation, an officer of Dhubulia police station said. 
An investigating officer said: “During the interrogation the accused youth confessed to have gang raped the girl along with other associates, but denied killing her” 
“We have arrested the prime accused, while trying to find out the others who went absconding. The accused persons have been charged under section 376D (gang rape) and 302 (murder) of IPC as well as under section 4 and 21A of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act”, a senior police officer said. 
Vcitim’s parents as well as local sources claimed that the accused Rajkumar was trying to develop an affair with the girl and making indecent proposal ever since he was admitted to class eleven barely six months ago. As the victim made no response, the accused became desperate and started threatening her over phone and the way going to school. 
Victim’s mother Swapna Biswas said: “My daughter told me on several occasions that Rajkumar used to tease her and make indecent proposal. He also used to follow her on the way to school and to private tuition. Recently he started making calls to our mobile numbers threatening to kidnap my daughter and marry her by force and also sometimes threatened to kill her from different numbers”. 
Victim’s brother Debshankar Biswas, a first year civil engineering student said: “We recently identified one of numbers as Rajkumar’s and cautioned him not to repeat disturb again otherwise legal action would be taken against him. After this the calls stopped, but continued to disturb my sister on the way”. 
Today at about 2am, victim’s grandmother Gurudashi found that the room where victim was sleeping was locked from outside. 
“I woke to a nature’s call and was panicked to see the door is locked from outside. I could not find her anywhere and then called my grandson Debshankar and neighbors. But there was no sign of Anwesha. Later some advised to check Rajkumar smelling trouble considering his recent threats over Telephone”, Gurudashi said. 
Neighbor Sulekha Biswas, a teacher of Belpukur Sishu Siksha Niketan, said: “We they rushed to Rajkumar’s house. But he was not there. His family members were surprisingly awake then but had no idea about him. At about 3am we found Rajkumar roaming mysteriously on the road. We nabbed him and asked about the girl. He then confessed that Anweshwa was with him, had also chatted with her, but refused to divulge about her whereabouts. We kept her asking about the girl, but he went on misleading us with contradictory statements until 9am when Amritalala Guin, a farmer found the she was hanging from a mango tree in an orchard around 400 meters away from her home”. 
Debshankar Biswas, victim’s brother alleged that family members of the accused are also involved in to the crime. “He was speaking over telephone with his family members when we nabbed him, who was instructing him to escape leaving the body. We recovered the phone from him and handed over to the police”. 
None, however, was found at the house of the accused as all fled a little after Rajkumar was apprehended.  `

Go back