News archives

Mother-Sons Reunited After 7 Years At Saktinagar District Hospital

2015-05-29 23:50

Dulali Saha breaks down after meeting her son Pranab at Saktinagar district hospital in Krishnanagar. Picture by PRANAB DEBNATH


Krishnanagar, May 29: 60 year old Dulali saha of bohar village in burdwan's Memari lost hope that she would ever be able to return her home and to see her two sons. For the last nine years since she was admitted to Saktinagar district hospital in Krishnanagar after meeting with an accident, it became her home. She lost her memory and her sons also could not find her. But thanks to the members of Chapra manab kalyan sanstha, a social welfare organization, who on Friday reunited Dulali with her two sons. The organization members yesterday traced out the elderly woman's home in bohar and her two sons pranab and manab, who were brought to Krishnanagar to be reunited with their mother.

The hospital authority on Friday was pleased enough to discharge Dulali and to hand over her to her sons. 
Super Himadri halder said: "for the last nine years a bond was developed between her amf hospital staff. We will miss her, but at this same time we are happy that she has got her home back".

Hospital sources said that during 2006, some people brought Dulali and some other persons after they meet a bus accident in Purbasthali.

“She had an injury on her leg. Her wounds were gradually healed up, but none ever came to the hospital to take her back home. She also apparently lost her memory as she could not tell us her whereabouts. She was later shifted to the female psychiatric ward of the hospital and for about last nine years, it became her home”, said ward master Prasanta Bhattacharjee.

“Despite the lost memory she never behaved bad nor had any complaints, rather developed a bond with all the staff of the ward”, he added.

A few months ago, she regained her memory and told us that she has her home in Bohar village of Bulbulpur panchayat under Memari.

“She even recalled the names of her two sons and provided the address too. We sent a number of letters to her sons at her given address, but got no response”, the ward master added.

The members of the Chapra based Manab Kalyan Sanstha, came to know about the plight of Dulali in last month when they came to the hospital to donate dress and foods to the patients admitted at the psychiatric ward.

 Debdulal Biswas, founder and present treasurer of the organization said: “In last month when we met her she requested us to trace out her sons in Bohar. She given us address of her home as far as she could recall. Based on her information we started visiting Bohar village and on Thursday, we luckily able to found her home and her two sons”.

“The five members of our organization who went to her home on Thursday shown her photographs to her sons Pranab and Manoj, who instantly identified her. They were immensely happy and today they came with us and took back their mother back home”, Biswas said.

The reunion at the hospital on Friday morning, however, brought tears to the eyes not to the mother and her two sons, but a dozen of staff who are engaged in taking care of the patients broke down.

Ward master Prasanta Bhattacharjee said: “It is a great moment in my life, I never witnessed such an incident.”

Pranab Saha, a share cropper by profession and elder son of Dulali said: “My mother left home nine years ago with a plan to visit her sisters house in Katwa. We heard that the bus in which she was traveling met with an accident. Later we searched my mother at different hospital, but could not trace out. Maa had a problem of amnesia, so we thought she has lost. But, on yesterday when five members of the social organization from Nadia came our home with information about my mother, we were could not believe them. But when they shown photograph of my mother, we lost words. We are grateful to the members of the organization and the staff of the saktinagar hospital who for the last nine years took such a care of my mother”.

Dulali was not in a position to speak, tears of joy rolling down her cheek. She hugged her sons and even admonished them for not to meet her in the past nine years.

Before leaving the hospital, she said: “Sabai bhalo theko, ami tomader ke dekhtey asbo”.

Go back