News archives

5-Year-Old Boy Abducted, Killed Before Ransom Paid

2015-05-13 23:59


Arnob Sarkar

Krishnaganj (Nadia), May 13: A five year old boy from Nadia’s Taraknagar, who was abducted while walking home from school three days ago, was found dead on Wednesday morning, a day after his father received a ransom demand of Rupees five lakhs.
The victim, identified as Arnab Sarkar, son of a labor contractor, was a kindergarten level student at a local school in Taraknagar under Krishnaganj police station.

Police said, the boy was smothered and then strangled. Plastic wrapper was found inside his mouth. Traces of blood were also seen on his teeth and scratch marks on the body.

The police have started a case of abduction and murder, but none could be arrested till Wednesday evening.

Investigating officials said that most probably the murder is fallout of an old business rivalry between the boy’s father and other.

The incident sparked tension in the Sukantapally as the angry villagers blocked railway tracks at Taraknagar station under Ranaghat-Gede stretch for five hours demanding a CBI probe. The blockade was withdrawn only after additional SP Ajoy Kumar assured to arrest culprits. Nevertheless, the locals refused to handover the body to police for post mortem until the assurance is given by SP Nadia.

Victim was last seen on Monday morning waiting for her mother at the school gate. School sources said, as his mother was late to arrive at the school to receive him, the boy started walking home, located barely 100-meter away, which he often did.

Dhiren Biswas, a local TMC leader and head master of Bijoykrishna Sishu Sikshaniketan of which the boy was a student said: “We never allow students to go alone, but it was only due to instruction of his parents we used to leave him as his home located close to school”.
Boy’s mother Dipti Sarkar said: “I apprehend my son was picked up by someone who is very close to our family while he going home”.

Boys father Nanigopal Sarkar, who used to supply labor for decoration works, on Monday afternoon lodged a missing diary at the Krishnaganj police station.

But, on Tuesday morning he received the first ransom call at 7.52 Am.

Victim’s uncle Pavel Sarkar said: “It was only after receiving the call on Tuesday morning we realized that Arnab was kidnapped. The caller demanded rupees five lakhs, to be paid at Bogula rail station through child’s sister Ankita, a class ten student. We arranged the money and went to Bogula station, but none came to receive it. Later in the evening the abductor called us again and this time asked to handover the money by 9 Am at Bogula station. But, before that on Wednesday morning the decomposed body was found lying on the sun shed of a under construction building near the school”.

“The caller misled us and killed the boy much early, probably the day he went missing. We wanted to hear his voice, which he did. But, now it appears that he probably mimicked his voice. We have the recording of the voice”, alleged Pavel.

SP Nadia Arnab Ghosh said: “We are looking into all the aspects behind the murder. We have some leads in the case which are being worked out to nab the culprits soon”.

Investigating officials said a family acquaintance may have a role in the crime.

“Preliminary investigations suggest that the murder of the boy is a fall out of old business rivalry. We have checked the recorded call of the abductor who during conversation has made specific reference. The caller said ‘amar byabsar anek khoti korechis. So we are exploring the personal rivalry behind the murder’, an officer of Krishnaganj police said.

Go back