News archives

CID Filed Charge Sheet In Ranaghat Convent Rape And Dacoity Case

2015-06-22 23:25

CID

NfN NETWORK

Ranaghat, June 22: The CID team probing the Ranaghat convent rape and robbery case has booked five persons out of the six accused it has arrested so far in the 995 page charge sheet submitted before the additional chief judicial magistrate’s court in Ranaghat on Friday.

However, it has not conclusively identified any of the accused in the charge sheet who has raped the elderly nun even during the robbery, even has slapped the charge of rape against all the five.

Interestingly enough, the CID, did not include the last catch – Nazrul Islam alias Noju, in the charge sheet, who was arrested on June 18 and suspected to have raped the elderly nun at the convent during the robbery. The other five accused during the interrogation apprised the sleuths that it was Noju who had actually raped the Nun.

Noju is now under CID custody for 14 days.

CID sources said that Noju’s name will be included in the supplementary charge sheet, which is likely to be submitted in the next month.

A CID officer said: “We are yet to conclusively identify the alleged rapist. We are waiting for the DNA reports of the blood samples with the available samples of blood and semen found on the bed and attire of the elderly nun. We suspect Noju as the rapist. So once we received the DNA matching report, we will submit a supplementary charge sheet”.

The CID has so far arrested six persons in this case out of the ten suspects, whose names it announced after the incident.

Local MLA Partha sarathi Chattopadhaya of ruling Trinamul Congress has welcomed the charge sheet.

“It is a great job done by the CID. The incident embarrassed us largely. The fast investigation of the CID would definitely help to regain the confidence”.

However, the convent of Jesus and Mary high school authority refused to comment on the charge sheet.

An official of the school over telephone said: “It is the job of the police, which has done its duty. We have forgiven those who attacked our school and now trying to forget the incident”.

The charge sheet was filed on the 97th day since the ghastly incident occurred on the night of March 14.

In the vividly written charge sheet that spread over 995 pages, the CID has claimed that the motive behind the attack on the Ranaghat based convent school was robbery.

A CID officer said: “We have not found any angle of religious fanaticism behind the attack. It was a well planned robbery done by an organized group of miscreants who are based in Bangladesh with strong operating network in Bengal”.

The five accused against who the charge sheet has been filed on Monday by the CID are Salim Sheikh, Khaleder Rehman Mintu (Faruq), Gopal Sarkar, Milan Sarkar and Ohidul Islam (Babu).

Assistant public prosecutor Pradip Kumar Pramanik said: “After the preliminary investigation we have got sufficient reason and evidences to believe that the five miscreants were involved in the heinous attack on the convent school and the motherly Nun. The five accused persons have been charged under section 395 (dacoity), 397 (robbery with attempt to cause death grievous hurt, 441 (Criminal trespassing) and 120 (b) (criminal conspiracy), 376 (rape), 376 (b) (sexual assault at a spot entering in group), 212 (harboring offender), 216 (a) (harboring robbers), 120 (b) (criminal conspiracy) and 109 (abetment of crime) and 441 (criminal trespassing) of the IPC against the five accused persons named in the charge sheet”.

The public prosecutor, however, ruled out ‘gang rape’ of the Nun, even though charges of rape has been brought against all the accused.

“We have so far been enough reason to believe that only one miscreant had raped the Nun. But, his accomplices were present on the spot of the crime with common motive of dacoity and assault. So rape charge has been brought against all”, he added.

On that night, miscreants attacked a residential block of Convent of Jesus and Marry high school in Ranaghat, where an elderly nun was brutalized during a robbery.

Meanwhile, four out of the ten persons, the CID initially identified to be involved, are still absconding.

On Monday three officers of CID team led by inspector Vijay Yadav came to the ACJM court in Ranaghat and submitted the charge sheet in a sealed envelope to the government record officer (GRO) Susanta Bhattacharjee.

The GRO later forwarded the charge sheet to ACJM Papiya Das for acceptance.  The CID officers appeared before the court refused to comment about the charge sheet.

On March 15, the Gangnapur police started a case. On the same day, chief minister Mamata Banerjee handed over the case to the CID.

After initiating the inquiry the CID came to know that a Bangladeshi gang was behind the crime. Within a week, the investigating team got the first breakthrough when it arrested Salim Sheikh, a Bangladeshi from a hideout in Mumbai. After that the CID has so far arrested six persons out of the ten it persons it has zeroed on for allegedly having involvement.

A CID officer on Monday said: “The investigation is still at a very initial level. There are at present at least four accused absconding, who could provide vital lead to the investigation”.

The CID, however, meanwhile desperately trying to arrest four other suspected Bangladeshi Nationals – Habib, Fakir, Manik and Tuhin, who are most probably hiding in Bangladesh now.

“In the charge sheet filed before the court, we have shown at least three of them as absconding, who are most probably hiding in Bangladesh at present. We are in touch with out Bangladeshi counterparts and the accused persons will be arrested at the first chance”, said an officer.

Go back