News archives

Bye Poll: TMC Retained Krishnaganj Assembly Seat

2015-02-16 18:59

TMC candidate Satyajit Biswas and BJP candidate Manabendra Roy Picture by PRANAB DEBNATH

NfN NETWORK

Ranaghat, Feb. 16:Trinamul Congress retained the Krishnaganj assembly seat by winning the by poll by a massive margin of 37033 votes on Monday. The result of the poll was announced on Monday for which the election was held on last Friday (February 13).

The Trinamul Congress has also retained the Bongaon Lok Sabha seat, by a margin of over 2,11,000 votes, where by poll was held due to death of party MP Kapilkrishna Thakur. Kalyani and Haringhata assembly segments fall with the Bangaon constituency, where the Trinamul also ensured their lead.

In a significant statement Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who also Trinamul’s chairperson, has congratulated the people. Speaking to the reporters in Purulia she said: “This is a miracle result”.

In Krishnaganj Trinamul’s Satyajit Biswas won by 37033 votes by defeating BJP candidate Manabendra Roy. The Trinamul candidate has secured 95469 votes, whereas BJP candidate secured 58436 votes. CPI (M) had to remain contended with the third position as its candidate Dr. Apurba Biswas secured 37620 votes.

The Trinamul has secured 48.25% of the total valid votes (197845) polled on Friday. On the other hand, BJP has secured around 29.53% of the total valid votes, where CPI (M) has reduced to 19.01% in comparison to 30.62% which it secured in the 2014 Lok sabha poll in Krishnaganj segment.

While Trinamul has increased its margin by over one thousand votes, it’s share of valid votes has readied nearly by 1% in comparison to 2014 Lok sabha poll when the party got 49.03% votes. But, BJP has grown up strong with an increase of around 15% in vote share. In 2014 Lok sabha poll, the party secured only 14.54% of the total valid votes, which has been increased to 29.53% in this election.

BJP candidate Manabendra Roy said: “I am not totally dejected due to the defeat. In the arithmetical calculation I have lost, but I have gained a major support base. It has been proved that BJP is the only force to be reckoned in the state in the 2016 assembly poll. This is our success.”

However, Trinamul’s victorious candidate Satyajit Biswas said: “The BJP will not be traced out in the next election. Their presence is merely in the paper. I am happy that the people have given a befitting reply to its conspiracy to grab support base by maligning our party and the leadership”.

Meanwhile, a euphoric Trinamul district president Gourisankar Dutta said: “This bye poll in other term has proved that media cannot control the public opinion. A section of the media tried desperately to influence the people, but their attempt has become futile. The media is the fourth estate in the democracy, but it is no more Omni powerful to influence public opinion”.

Go back