News archives

Bride Injured In LPG Cylinder Blast In Nakashipara

2015-05-04 21:30

NfN NETWORK

LPG cylinder after blastNakashipara, May 4: A young woman in her bridal attire sustained critical burn injury along with her newly married husband when a LPG cylinder exploded at the kitchen of her in-laws’ house in Jugpur village of Nadia’s Nakashipara on Monday morning.

The incident occurred when Minati Sikdaar (23) of Kalibas village in Nakashipara, who got married to Palash Sikdar of Jugpur on Sunday night, joined the kitchen as per the tradition of her in-laws’ after arriving there from her paternal house.  

Following the accident, the reception programme which was scheduled for Tuesday has been called off.

Family sources said, the accident occurred when she making tea.

Three other persons who were injured in the blast include her grandmother –in-law, a domestic help and two neighbors.

The victims were initially taken to Bethuadahari block hospital, from where they were shifted to Saktingar district hospital.

According to hospital sources in Krishnanagar, condition of Minati and her grandmother in law Sashibala is stated to be critical.

“Minati has sustained around 70% burn with the upper portion of her body has been seriously burnt. The elderly woman has also earned 60% burn injuries while the condition of the others is stable”, a doctor who visited the victims said.

According to local sources, Palash Sikdar of Jugpur, a clerk attached to state youth welfare department in Murshidabad and a WBCs aspirant, got married to Minati on Sunday night in Kalibas village near Bethuadahari.

Palash return to his Jugpur home with her newly married wife early on Monday morning as per the tradition of the family.

Ratan Majumder, a friend of Palash said: “As per the tradition of the family the bride has to take part in kitchen at her inlaws’ home on arrival. Minati too joined the kitchen in a symbolic way and asked to make tea. The elderly women of the Sikdar family were there. But, Minati noticed that gas was leaking from the rubber pipe. Knowing this Palash entered the kitchen to repair it, but before he could do anything the cylinder went off”.

“I was in an adjacent room when I heard a blasting sound. I rushed to the kitchen and found that Mina lying unconscious on the ground with a ball of fire. There others lying on the ground writhing in burn including Palash, her grandmother, their domestic aid and two neighbors”.

Go back